Life Spiral - A new life post INSEAD !

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Same time last year?

Well, I have been thinking about slowly and gradually reading my blogs and guess what? I read this post not far from Nov 9th 2006 and I had written something to the tune of "The heart of Europe" demonstrates an amazing degree of unity and discipline" (I think the countries involved then were Germany, Switzerland, Austria) and guess what? Today I am working in the very heart with atleast 2 of the countries in the three along with a couple of countries whose national weeks followed. Life has changed so much and yet has not changed at all?Well I do think working in an industry of choice is fun. I am working in a messy messy industry in one of the messiest of companies. I do work "WITH" consultants instead of working "AS A" consultant. I don't work with the tier 1, so not all the tricks from "House of Lies" is used but a substantial number is being used. What I ran away from all my life is what I think I am getting into. I think I committed some serious mistakes at work this week and I feel sadly out of touch with complexities of work (and relationships at work) despite my "rigorous training" last year. Interestingly I feel the place I work is NOT AT ALL different as my colleagues do think from the "World class companies" that I had worked for earlier. Its the same rules that need to be followed.
(1) Relationships are the best way to get things done at work quickly.
(2) Respect people to get respect back.
(3) Stereotyping is never healthy.

Yet, I seem to be listening and even accepting some violations on the above three areas. I have ignored some requests from "less important people" and have spent too much time feeding into "the customer" or the "more important people"And this is different from INSEAD simply because "Everyone in INSEAD is equal" or we are lead to believe it (even when our GMAT scores, GPAs, Color of skin/eyes, "Ending salary before INSEAD", "Starting salary after INSEAD" were as diverse as the colors in the Rainbow).So now I commit to myself, I will go back to work tomorrow morning with an open mind, accept the mistakes I committed earlier this week and try to fix as many of them as possible !

To my blog readers....I can't believe atleast a couple of you keep track of me even when I get lost in my own world way too often...(Well atleast the wannabe I think, should stop blogging and commenting until he finishes GMAT ;-). Good luck).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page