Life Spiral - A new life post INSEAD !

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Hello Social Life

It has been a month since I started working. That is an important milestone. Next time I speak about the time I have spent here, in all liklihood it is going to be in a year, unless things nosedive.

Let me see what I have to say about my job so far.
(1) Challenging - Tons of things to get done
(2) I bring the right knowledge / Skills for the job - Both my background in previous jobs and passions "Seem to be designed" for this job.
(3) I still have no social life and might have to start building relationships from scratch.

I think to be fair to my boss, I have arrived here after a couple of years of having a fabulous boss I had an incredible chemistry with. I did not have to persuade people or be nice always. I drew credibility in my job from my boss and his leadership style. The chemistry did I think set the platform for success in my previous job. I was also a little adventurous because of my chemistry with my ex-boss. I used to take risk and occassionally when I screwed up was ready to face it. That honesty is now gone and I am surprised (when I should be working on building that credibility all over again). Well, I think I need to build trust and be trustworthy. When I am not understood, I will have to try building stories that are persuasive. I have accepted it as something I need to do over the next few months. I have realized it through the week and am going to precisely do that. Infact as a colleague told me, I need to be looking for the "kind of reactions I draw" from people and understand them. I am going to be a lot more open with my boss and his leadership style and see where it takes us. After all, this is a job that is a "no-risk experiment for me" thanks to some degree as there are some very very good back-up plans in place.

And yes, Social life, alcohol is trickling in slowly. Yes, nothing compared to what INSEAD offered but INSEAD was life in fast-forward. This is real life. So I am enjoying life even in "slow motion" once in a while....

2 Comments:

  • If I remember correctly, you're engaged? When is the special day?

    By Blogger kpmg, at 1:40 AM  

  • Wow so you are in Italy now. Pretty cool.

    By Blogger KV, at 12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page